Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The fed-up-with-it-all FLU season

This flu season may just kill me.

Not because I get the flu, no... because of the debacle that is flu shots. There is a short supply—-everywhere. I work in the Employee Health department of the hospital and get to share in the joy of answering everyone's questions about the flu shots: do you have the flu shot... what about H1N1... when will you get more... can I get it... why can't I get it... BUT... what if I get it elsewhere... should I wear a mask... do you have the flu shot? do you have the flu shot? do you have the flu shot? ARRRRRRGHGHGHGHHHH!!!!

Mr. Employee, when I tell you that you can’t have the shot, it’s not that I don’t like you or that I’m lying to you, it’s because a) you are not a direct healthcare provider, b) you are too old/don’t qualify for the nasal mist (which is all we have right now), or c) we’re out of the injectible, which you have asked specifically for. Yes, please go call whatever higher power you feel will do any good—-we don’t have what you are looking for. I'm very sorry.

Don’t be rude.
Don’t yell at us.
Don’t storm out.
Don’t have your mom call (I'm not kidding.)

Simply shrug your shoulders, thank me for answering your question (and please do not ask if you can call here everyday for an update), and kindly walk away. Please watch your email for the MASS communication that will inevitably go out when more of the flu vaccine becomes available for our employees. (sigh)


All the pestering and dumb questions... believe me when I tell you that I really, truly DO love my job. It's just the people that are hard to deal with sometimes. Ha!

2 comments:

Mo said...

Oh Abby... How I know the feeling...

While I haven't dealt directly with flu shots (which I'm sure is insane with all the talk of this year's flu season), I have dealt with people. Needy, greedy, curious people. The kind of people that think if they just repeat their question 8-23 more times, then maybe, just MAYBE, my answer will change...

Good luck, it looks like you have a long season ahead of you! :)

Abby said...

Thanks Molly. :)

I guess it's just that sense of entitlement that comes with their questions, you know? EVERYONE here at the hospital will inevitably come in contact with the flu virus whether it is a specimen or infected person. But when I ask "are you a direct healthcare provider?" (which is a requirement we have set right now for the H1N1 vaccine) and they respond with "what's that?" you can pretty much decide that they are ineligible.

"...BUT!--" Nope, game over. :\