Monday, February 14, 2011

I felt LIFE!!!

I was sitting at on off-site retreat today for work and was completely distracted by the flutters in my belly.  No, not nerves... not gas... not even hunger pangs.  I felt the baby move!!!

But before this... I was sitting on the couch with John about two weeks ago and I put my hand to my belly in surprise and said, "Oh! I think I just felt the baby move!"  His tender reply: "I think you just want to feel the baby move."  Maybe so, but I'm pretty sure that was it.

Then about a week later, as we were cuddled up in bed about to fall asleep, I gasped again, "Holy cow, I totally just felt the baby move!!"  To which my sweet husband blurted, "Holy cow you just woke me up!"  LOL!  Not the reaction I was looking for... I said, "sorry, but I am really feeling it moving around." (P.S. I hate calling our child an "it," but we'll find out the gender soon enough...) John was startled awake by my exclamation, so I whipsered, "okay sorry, but I really did feel the baby move... go back to sleep."

Today, there was no mistaking the acrobatics going around in my womb.  I eagerly put my hand to my stomach, but I realized that it's going to be awhile before it can be felt from the outside.  I so want John to feel his baby moving around inside of me.  But instead I texted him, "I'm feeling the baby move a lot today!"  He is so excited about this baby and when he got home tonight, he was asking me all about what it was like to feel that.  I told him one time that it made me a little sad that as a man, he'll never get to feel that life inside of him... but he said he's okay with that.

I've been eager for this sensation.  It's similar to how I needed to see the little peanut on the first ultrasound in order to feel more of a connection to the new life inside of me.  Lately, I've felt like I needed to feel movement in order to increase our bond.  I am so blessed to be able to carry life, and I have this incredible joy in knowing that I get to care for this baby now and for the rest of its life.  What an amazing high this is!!

6 comments:

LoLo said...

I'm so happy for you..it IS such a blessing to be able to experience that feeling! Just wait till you can SEE baby rolling around outside your tummy! Yay Abby! Love, Lauren

Angie @ Flibbertigibberish said...

Ditto what Lauren says. When you can not only feel it from the outside but SEE it from the outside, it's crazy! (Actually, sometimes it's a little freaky when you can see it.)

Sometimes I still think I feel the baby kick. But that's when I realize that a.) she's sitting next to me, actually kicking me or b.) Yep, definitely gas.

LoLo said...

Haha! I experienced the same thing..usually just gas :) I have the funniest videos of Brogan moving in my belly, rolling around! I used to balance remotes on my belly to see if he could knock them off :)

Mo said...

I remember having a conversation with Jason about how sad it was that he wouldn't ever get to experience that. He too was ok with it, and I believe even equated it to something out of an alien movie or "Monsters Inside
Of Me" episode. Apparently he categorizes it as one of God's creepier miracles.

Abby said...

Molly, remind me not to let John and Jason talk about that together... I have to stop him every time he starts making a growling sound and motioning that I have an alien inside me. Although at our 12 week ultrasound, the pictures we got looked more like the Scream mask than a sweet child. He told me that if I keep referring to it as "our alien baby," it will bite or pinch me from the inside. Yikes!

We have our 20 weeks appt tomorrow, I'm hoping for some sweeter pictures and can't wait to watch it swim laps!! :)

Mo said...

Ha, perhaps they can form some sort of support group for Expectant Fathers Fearful of That Which Dwells Within. EFFTWDW. I'm sure they're not the only ones out there.