Monday, March 28, 2011

Part 3: test results

I have gestational diabetes.

And I'm not happy about it.

Here's what this means:
I will meet with a dietician in the next week or so to determine what I should and should not be eating in order for my body to process sugars efficiently.  Then, she will send me home with a kit and a tracking sheet, as I will have to prick my finger and test my blood before every meal.  Every meal.  Awesome.  I used to look forward to meal time, now I have to inflict pain.

This is not my fault.

I asked the nurse if there was anything I could do to prevent this and she said no.  This is not the result of anything I did or could have done differently.  This is just my body reacting to how it processes sugar.  She said that sometimes the placenta can store more sugar than it needs to, which can lead to this diagnosis.

And, I think my doctor's office (though I very much love and trust them) is being overly cautious.  The first result was one point over.  They did four blood draws for the second test, and two were high.  This tells them that I have GD.  But wait--two were high... so then two were low!  Shouldn't it be a 'three strikes you're out' rule?  I don't get it.  And I think it's a lot of worry and stress on my body to go through all this, and that can't be good for the baby either!

But, I'll do what I'm told.  I'll endure the next 14 weeks (or however long he stays in there cookin') and will make the best of it.  I'm not going to jeopardize his health by NOT listening to the doctors, so here we go. 

Hold on tight baby, this road is gonna get bumpy.  Mommy might cry.  She already has a lot.  Daddy might cry (he doesn't do needles or blood).  He's being a trooper though and really supporting Momma.  In fact, he's making dinner right now and promised to pamper Mommy a little tonight... yes please!

So there you have it.  Let's talk about it.  Let's keep telling me that this isn't my fault and I couldn't have done anything differently.  It is what it is, and I'm going to be strong and get through this for my health and the health of my precious little peanut... who will be fine.  And perfect.  And wonderful.  And here before I know it.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

You can do this. You are one strong cookie and you can handle this. And you and baby will be stronger and healthier for having been so conscious about your diet and lifestyle. Thinking of you and wishing you good (healthy, low-sugar) food after your dietician visit!